Wedding Coordinator, Horetown House
At Horetown House, we understand the importance of making eco-conscious choices for your wedding day. One significant aspect of sustainable event planning is selecting the right flowers. By opting for locally-sourced and seasonal blooms, you can reduce your environmental impact while still enjoying beautiful and memorable arrangements. Naturally grown seasonal flowers are not only fresher and more vibrant, but they also have a fragrance, something that is bred out of commercial flowers. They also require less transportation and resources, resulting in a smaller carbon footprint.
they also have a fragrance, something that is bred out of commercial flowers”
Finding local suppliers
Working with local flower farms ensures that you are supporting your community’s economy and fostering a sustainable future. Horetown House grows cut flowers and foliage in our grounds to provide the freshest, most environmentally-friendly floral options for your big day. And if you would like help finding a local florist who can create bouquets, buttonaires and installations we can share recommendations and inspirations that will work for your wedding.
Look at this stunning, fresh and vibrant Moongate installation created by Lennie at Wallflower Sustainable Florist
Choosing the Right Sustainable Flowers for Your Wedding
When planning your eco-friendly wedding at Horetown House, it’s essential to consider the types of flowers you’ll use in your bouquets, centrepieces, and other decorations. Some popular sustainable flower options include:
- Native wildflowers: These flowers are well-adapted to the local climate and soil, which means they require fewer resources to grow and are often more resistant to pests and diseases.
- Heirloom varieties: These flowers have been passed down through generations and are typically more diverse and hardy than commercial breeds, making them a more sustainable choice.
- Organic flowers: Grown without synthetic chemicals or pesticides, organic flowers are better for the environment and your health.
“…Grown without synthetic chemicals or pesticides, organic flowers are better for the environment and your health “
Working with a Local Florist to Create Your Eco-Friendly Arrangements
To ensure that your wedding flowers are as sustainable as possible, it’s important to work closely with a local florist who shares your commitment to environmental responsibility. At Horetown House, we’re happy to help you create stunning and sustainable floral arrangements for your special day or connect you with our trusted network of eco-conscious florists.
This beautiful broken arch was created by Tina of The Wild Bunch
Incorporating Sustainable Floral Practices in Your Wedding Decor
In addition to choosing the right flowers, there are several other ways to make your wedding decor more eco-friendly:
- Reuse and repurpose: Instead of using single-use floral arrangements, consider repurposing flowers from the ceremony for the reception, or have guests take home arrangements as favours.
- Opt for potted plants or succulents: These can serve as beautiful decorations and double as lasting mementos for your guests to take home and care for after the event.
- Use sustainable materials: Choose natural, compostable materials for your floral arrangements, such as twine, burlap, or recycled paper.
By incorporating sustainable flowers and practices into your wedding at Horetown House, you can create a beautiful celebration that aligns with your values and supports the environment and community.